With the summer weather, it’s easy to be tempted to spend every possible minute outdoors enjoying the sunshine. While this feels great, it can also be harmful if you aren’t careful. Here are some tips to help you stay safe in the summer sun:
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. Don’t wait until you get thirsty to start sipping.
- Use a high-SPF sunscreen and wear a wide-brimmed hat.
- Work at a slow, steady pace and take breaks. Spend time resting in the shade, drinking cool drinks or enjoying a cool treat.
- Pay attention to how you feel. If you start to get dizzy, lightheaded or nauseated, you may be suffering from a heat-related illness. Get into an air-conditioned area or take a cool shower. Seek medical help if symptoms continue or worsen.
- Stay in the air conditioning if you have a medical condition or if it’s very humid. Save the outdoor activities for another day.
- If you don’t have air conditioning, visit a place that does. Our residents and visitors thrive in our air-conditioned community.
Meanwhile, whip up a batch of these refreshing popsicle treats at home. They’re easy to make and taste great. Be creative and mix in your favorite ingredients, such as strawberries and kiwi or peanut butter and chocolate chips. (Recipe adapted from ChocolateCoveredKatie.com).
Frozen Yogurt Popsicles
Makes 4-6 popsicles
- 1 cup yogurt, any flavor
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- Fresh berries or fruit, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Add-ins as desired
- 1/8 tsp vanilla (optional)
Stir together the yogurt, fruit, sweetener, and optional vanilla and add-ins. Fill popsicle molds or small plastic cups with yogurt mixture and freeze. If using cups, place the filled cups in the freezer for 30 minutes before inserting a popsicle stick or small spoon into the center.
More flavor ideas:
Coconut Strawberry: Coconut milk yogurt + strawberry slices
Pina Colada: Pineapple yogurt + fresh pineapple + shredded coconut
Chunky Monkey: Vanilla yogurt + sliced banana + mini chocolate chips
Blueberry Pie: Blueberry yogurt + fresh blueberries + granola
We’re here to help you thrive this summer. Plan a visit to our air-conditioned community to join us for “cool” events, activities and classes.