Hot summer days are quickly approaching, and we can’t wait for afternoons at the beach, backyard barbecues, road trips and so much more. As you plan to stay active and spend more time outdoors this summer, don’t forget this one crucial thing: Protect your skin.
In the U.S. alone, more than 9,500 people are diagnosed with skin cancer every day, and about 90% of those cases are associated with the exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun. It may come as a surprise to hear that Utah, Delaware, Vermont, Minnesota and Idaho have the highest skin cancer rates nationwide, mainly due to the lack of sunscreen worn by its residents.
Here are some simple yet effective ways to protect your skin from damage while still enjoying your summer fun:
- Make a constant effort to stay in the shade from 10:00am–4:00pm. This is when the sun is most powerful, and you have the highest risk of being burned.
- Avoid getting a sunburn by covering yourself with a light shirt, a broad-brimmed hat and sunglasses.
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or more every day, even if you are only outside for a short period.
- For extended outdoor activity like swimming or time at the beach, use a water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or more. Reapply every two hours or after swimming.
- Always be aware of new spots or patches on your skin. See a dermatologist at least once a year or if you have any concerns about your skin.
Preventing skin cancer is simple and attainable for both you and your loved ones. Take a few minutes to learn about a few products we’ve rounded up that’ll help you and your family stay safe this summer and all year-round:
- Sunscreenr – Sunscreenr is a special UV camera that shows where you have sunscreen coverage and protection and where you do not. This waterproof, durable and easy-to-use device will help you protect yourself from extensive sun exposure and damage.
- UV-Blocker Fashion UV Umbrella – Voted No. 1 Best Sun Umbrellas in 2020, the UV-Blocker Fashion UV Umbrella will protect your skin from sun exposure and burns. The steel frame is sturdy to withstand windy beaches while still being light enough to pack.
- Hawaiian Tropic AntiOxidant+ Sunscreen Lotion – This sunscreen has an SPF of 50, is not greasy on skin and is water resistant for up to 80 minutes. It was voted No. 1 in Good Housekeeping’s 12 Best Sunscreens to Protect Your Skin, According to Skin Care Experts.
- J+S Vision lenses – These sunglasses are 400UV rated, with shades that are polarized, multilayer and specifically designed to filter and block over 99.96% of glare.
May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month and you can read on for helpful tips and tools to continue safe sun enjoyment all season long. Enjoy the outdoors this summer, and remember it’s never too late to protect your skin from sun damage.